Monday 30 June 2014

Nail Art Challenge June - Fathers Day & Recreation

During the month of June I decided to take part in two nail art challenges. To view my other posts click here! Taking on two challenges might have been a bit too hopeful, because I'm drastically behind! Anyway, I decided to combine two different challenges: Fathers Day - day 15 of #nailartjun - and Recreation - day 16 of #nailartchallengejune. Way back when I first started instagram I created a Delfts Blauw design inspired by The Polish Perfectionist. Delfts Blauw (Delft is a place and Blauw is Blue) is a traditional white and blue pottery made in The Netherlands and usually has iconic Dutch drawings like windmills, clogs, tulips, a boy and a girl is traditional Dutch wear kissing.

I loved the pattern when I first saw it, but didn't really have the right tools to recreate The Polish Perfectionists' nails. Now I do! The "then" photo is the top left photo and taken about a year ago. I believe I used OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls and a dark blue Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen. Although I quite like nail art pens, the tip of them is way too thick to do any kind of detailed drawings.

For the "now" I used OPI Alpine Snow, my favourite white as well as dark blue acrylic paint. I've never used acrylic paint before but I loved it! Polish thickens very quickly and it's hard to draw when it thickens. The acrylic paint stays wet for a longer amount of time so the drawings are much smoother.

So it easily fit in with recreation, but for Fathers day.... My dad used to fly a lot with KLM for his work and, I'm not sure if they still do it, but back then for every flight you could choose a little Dutch house (pictured above). We have tons of them now and they're all in my dads office! It's a bit of a stretch, I know, but it's about the nail art right?!

I'm so impressed with how these turned out, and it's such a huge difference between a year ago. I used a small detailing brush I bought on eBay. It was still too thick so I trimmed it down myself to the size I wanted it to be.. extremely thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment