Sunday 8 February 2015

OPI Hawaii Spring/Summer 2015 Collection Swatches & Review

This years OPI spring/summer collection had a lot to live up to. I was in love with the Brazil collection and it's actually the first and only collection where I own all of the nail polishes! Well.... the Hawaii collection did not disappoint! Apart from one nail polish, but we'll get to that later! This post will cover swatches, a quick review and a comparison! 

I picked up 7 of the 12 colours. I'll start off with the nude of the collection: Do You Take Lei Away. I'm a sucker for nudes so there was no doubt in my mind to get this one. It's just the right kind of nude for my skin tone, very light and slightly pink toned. 

The formula was very easy to work with and I only needed 2 coats for the swatch. I didn't use a top coat. 


I compared it to three other OPI colours: My Very First Knockwurst, Pretzel My Buttons and Don't Bossa Nova Me Around. Knockwurst is definitely more pink, and Bossa Nova is way lighter. Don't Pretzel My Buttons is very similar, and most people probably won't be able to see a difference. It's slightly less pink toned and a tint lighter than Do You Take Lei Away. 

The next colour is this amazing pistachio green called That's Hula-rious. Although a lot of people call it a mint, I think it's much more of a warm toned pastel green. 

The formula is incredible! It's super opaque and easy to work with. I used 2 coats for the swatch and no top coat. 


The first colour I thought of was Gargantuan Green Grape. I don't have it to compare but I did own it about a year ago... swatched it on all of 2 fingers. I found the formula of GGG so watery and sheer! I hated it so immediately got rid of it. 

I do have some other colours to compare it to Essie Mint Candy Apple and Kester Black Bubblegum. Both colours are much more of a true mint as they contain a lot more blue. 

Another perfect spring colour is Suzi Shops and Island Hops. A gorgeous bright pastel pink. 

I used 2 coats for the swatch and no top coat. Again amazing easy formula. 



Well... this is a little disappointing...  Suzi Shops and Island Hops is a 99% exact dupe of Pink Friday from the Nicki Minaj Collection. One of my all time favourite pinks is Pink Friday so if you missed out on that one, definitely get this one. You don't need both. 

I'm obsessed with this next one. This is Aloha from OPI and it's this stunning super bright coral. 
2 easy coats and no top coat. I'm currently wearing this on my toes! 



I thought this was going to be identical to Live.Love.Carnival from last years Brazil collection... I couldn't be more wrong! Live.Love.Carnival is much more pink toned and not nearly as bright. 

Red Lights Ahead...Where? From the Holland collection is very similar, but it's more of a true red, whereas Aloha from OPI is more coral toned. 

The darkest shade in the collection is Hello Hawaii Ya? This is a very dusty grey toned purple. 

This could easily be a 1 coater, but for the sake of consistency I used 2. No topcoat. 


I thought this was going to be very similar to Planks A Lot from the Pirates of the Caribbean collection... it's not! Planks A Lot is much lighter and slightly warmer toned. Kester Black French Lavender is also much lighter. 

This colour has been named the grandma colour that everyone actually really likes. This is Just Lanai-ing Around. It's another darker dusty colour from those who don't like spring pastels. It's a rosy toned pink. In the bottle you can see some silver shimmer, but they didn't show up on my nails whatsoever. 

Again, amazing formula. You could easily get away with just 1 coat, but for consistency I used 2. No Topcoat.



The only colour I thought that would be similar was Kester Black Peony, but that's much lighter. 

The final colour I purchased is This Color's Making Waves. This is a beautiful blue shimmer polish with very very subtle shimmery coppery specks. They are very difficult to see, however sometimes if the light hits it right, you'll see a very warm glow. 

I used 2 coats no top coat. 



I compared it to Barry M Pacific... they're pretty much identical. Pacific doesn't have the coppery specks, but let's be real... you can't really see those anyway! 

That's everything I picked up from the OPI Hawaii collection! There are 5 more colours, an orange (identical to Where Did Suzi's Man-Go), a red with golden shimmer, a bright shimmery green, a bright blurple (similar to Eurso Euro and Do You Have This Color In Stock-holm), and a really really really horrible golden metallic with multicoloured glitter. Ew. 

Have you picked up any of the OPI Hawaii collection? What did you think of the collection, does it compare to last years Brazil collection? 

xx Elaine 

No comments:

Post a Comment