Saturday 21 June 2014

Barry M Gelly Summer 2014 Swatches

I picked up a few of the new Barry M nail polishes for summer 2014. Barry M came out with 7 new gelly polishes as well as 6 of the matte polishes. I am not a huge fan of matte nails, and I have a matte top coat so I didn't feel the need to get any of those, but I did pick up 5 of the gelly formula. I bought 4 of them together a little while ago when Boots had a 2 for £7 offer (they're normally £3.99 each), and I picked up the final one a couple days ago with one of the four limited addition polishes at Boots and Superdrug.

First up is Damson, I've already blogged about that before in my Sally Hansen Pacific Blue Dupe post. Damson is a beautiful muted cobalt blue, it's a very unique colour as it's very bright, but still slightly more greyed out compared to other blues. Check out the before mentioned post to see blue comparisons.

The formula on this is amazing, it's very creamy and opaque. I used two easy coats for the swatch. It dried super glossy, like all Gelly Hi-Shine Nail Paints by Barry M.

Next up is Elderberry, this is another very greyed out light blue. Although it's a very light blue, it's still much darker than baby blues. The only colour that I have that's slightly similar is Nails Inc Sheraton Street. It's the same greyed out blue, but that one has a hint more green. Elderberry is a really unique colour, and not something I have seen a lot of before.

The formula was really nice, the first coat was a bit streaky, but the second coat easily covered that up. Just remember to let these gelly nail polishes fully dry before adding another coat as they can start to drag. Again it dries to a beautiful glossy finish.

The third colour is Coconut. I am literally so in love with this colour! I have used this the most out of all my nail polishes since I've been back in the UK. I keep reaching for it, to wear it on its own or together with nail art. It's so good!! Anyway it's an off white creamy colour. I think it's a lot more flattering than a full on white. I only have one colour that's similar to this and that's Models Own Coconut Cream which also came out recently.

The formula is a little more tricky compared to most gellys from Barry M. It's very streaky and definitely needed three coats to get it streak free. It's a very opaque polish and once you put the third coat on it's like magic.

The fourth nail polish is Almond. This is a light taupe colour. I really like taupe colours but for some reason this didn't really work for me. It's a really nice colour though and I'll need to try it again when I'm not swatching. This is quite similar to OPI's Taupeless Beach but that's slightly more grey. Another similar colour is Nails Inc Porchester Square which looks slightly more grey. Not much of a difference though.

The formula on this was amazing, it's very smooth and not streaky at all. I used two coats to get it fully opaque.

The last colour I picked up is Pink Punch, a bright hot pink. It's a really nice colour but not that unique. It's very similar to Nails Inc Shoreditch, but that's slightly darker and a hint more red. It's also similar to Plush Pink from Leighton Denny (free with Harpers Bazaar this month) and OPI Kiss Me On My Tulips which are probably one drop darker.. pretty much identical.

The formula was again fantastic, this is why I love the gelly formula! I used two coats for the swatch but it's very opaque and creamy so with careful application you could probably get away with just one coat.


The other two colours I didn't pick up are Olive and Kiwi. Kiwi is a jade green, I love greens but don't really wear them too often. Olive is a very unique olive green. It's a bit of an odd colour and not something I'd ever wear. The formula on both is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment